the petri dish.

if you think i need a life... you're probably right.

星期一, 九月 10, 2007

Work Woes.

I see the importance of bioinformatics, but it IS killing me. My mind cannot wrap itself easily around computing, like the intricacies of trawling the web/databases for information. Granted, lab sessions are easy enough - I just have to follow the instructions printed on the practical schedule, but sometimes things aren't as straightforward as they seem, and sometimes its downright frustrating and tedious (e.g. I tried the clustw one and gave up midway)

This is week 5. Next week is week 6. The week after week 6 is mid sem break. Tis a little fast, if you ask me. Not too long ago I was still lazing around at Schlossgarten and other assorted places of inviting fields, cool air and warm sunshine, wandering up and down rue St. Catherine on my own, generally enjoying the train rides in and out of montreal... and now, in a blink of an eye, I'm sitting here in the central library on a monday evening wondering where all the time went. Well, it seems like an eternity has passed, yet not so, perhaps because so much has happened in the 4 weeks between my return to sg and the start of the new term. Considering that much of it wasn't very good - in fact I daresay that parts of it still haunt me on a pretty regular basis - those are the days my self esteem's lower than a snail's underside. I don't want to think too much about the lovely, lovely summer or I'd just pine for the gone days and not get work done (when I say summer, I mean the 2 months I was away), neither do I want to dwell on the pause between summer and start of semester because I'd probably end up crying and not get any work done either so I guess the best is to FOCUS on the here and now.

I need more focus and motivation. The only consolation I can derive out of academia is that even though I'm not studying medicine, at least I'm interested in nearly all of the modules that are coded LSM. It's a good thing I was pretty stubborn last year I guess, because if I had uh, seriously considered alternatives, I might be doing law or pharmacy or some branch of allied health and while they obviously offer more job security and stability in the long run, I don't think I would derive much satisfaction studying them. Plus one of the downsides is that being professional degrees, the education received would be tailored to fit the needs of singapore alone, so job mobility is pretty restricted. Science is universal - the knowledge I gain should not restrict me to working here alone I think, which suits me well. I guess even if I end up teaching here, I'd want to take a year or two off to pursue higher education overseas - it has been my dream to study/live abroad for as long as I can remember, and I am determined to achieve this in my lifetime =)