Shoes.
If you are not in covered shoes and you get caught in biochem lab, depending on your luck, you can either silently get away with it, or be told to leave.
The first day I decide not to obey the shoe rule, I get caught. And told to leave. And name, course and matric number noted. (wonders if my lab report will be marked down because of it - 50% of final grade!!) But I was eventually allowed to stay on after 1. Quite a bit of pleading and (dare I say it?) whining and 2. "Okay. Plastic bags. If you find 2 plastic bags to cover your feet, you can stay."
-pauses for you to imagine me with feet in 2 co-op bags walking around the lab-
My feet actually feel better in the plasticbag-slipper complex than in shoes. Hmm. I might actually consider doing this for the remaining sessions since my feet won't cramp in this getup. Except that it results in me announcing my arrival everywhere I go, and a lot of other TAs actually noticing that I wasn't wearing shoes. So they were either 1. laughing at me or 2. "Got caught, huh?"
Oh btw short skirts are allowed in biochem lab but uncovered shoes aren't. I don't know where the logic is, because the idea of covering up exposed skin is to prevent the skin from coming into contact with toxic chemicals. Saving my foot from some corrosive agent isn't going to save my calves. And I think the calves have a higher chance of getting hit. -shrugs- All the same, if it means I don't have to plan my wardrobe around lab sessions...
I agree with some random girl's assessment (after asking why I was in bags) that I need better shoes. HOWEVER, I bought my current pair especially for lab sessions, and there is NO way I'm going to spend more money on a better pair of shoes when I'm only going to wear it once in one or two weeks. Sports/school shoes give me ingrowing toenails (after entering uni I haven't had a single ingrowing toenail because I don't have to wear shoes on a regular basis), and flats cause the sole of my feet to cramp, and the huge stain I now sport on the side of my lab coat (as mentioned a few weeks back) came about when my left foot suddenly cramped up, the pain shot up to the butt cheek and I lost my balance, bringing an entire tray of dye-containing cuvettes crashing onto me as I hit the table. (wow long sentence) My shoes didn't get anything, but my lab coat and blue jeans did.
All the same, some careful reflection of my mindset as the events unfold did demonstrate some interesting points. Like if you poke someone hard, you'd get poked hard, too. I must say that this is the first time I've been made to feel like a child since entering university (when initially told to leave) because so far we've always been treated as adults, so my first reaction was resentment. Its like, if you don't treat me with respect, why should I accord respect to you! But I really should have asked if there was any way I could get round that rule at that moment rather than wait until she asked for my name 3 minutes later, when thought of failing my lab report because of a pair of shoes actually entered my mind. So I crawled back to tell her I was leaving the lab NOW and whether there was anywhere on campus selling shoes, why can't I use paper to cover my feet, are there any other options blahblahblah and that was how the plastic bag came in. (after a bit of whining - I don't know, it seems like I'd stoop pretty low to ensure that my record was still good and my report wouldn't be penalised, huh. Okay I really should have done it at the start but there's no escaping the fact that I didn't because of my own pride and only did so at the end because I was motivated by my academic grade. My CAP sucks now and I need every good grade and good record and good whatever else I can get.)
I think I'm rambling on and obsessing about the event when I really should be BLAST-ing sequences. Sigh.
And speaking of biochem. The IEX failed to achieve its purpose. For one sickening moment I thought our enzyme was dead because I couldn't find it in any protein peak, until I had a sneaky suspicion that the column failed. After assaying void volume, taaaaa-daaaaaaa.
I like to trouble-shoot, but I really hate having to do it.
The first day I decide not to obey the shoe rule, I get caught. And told to leave. And name, course and matric number noted. (wonders if my lab report will be marked down because of it - 50% of final grade!!) But I was eventually allowed to stay on after 1. Quite a bit of pleading and (dare I say it?) whining and 2. "Okay. Plastic bags. If you find 2 plastic bags to cover your feet, you can stay."
-pauses for you to imagine me with feet in 2 co-op bags walking around the lab-
My feet actually feel better in the plasticbag-slipper complex than in shoes. Hmm. I might actually consider doing this for the remaining sessions since my feet won't cramp in this getup. Except that it results in me announcing my arrival everywhere I go, and a lot of other TAs actually noticing that I wasn't wearing shoes. So they were either 1. laughing at me or 2. "Got caught, huh?"
Oh btw short skirts are allowed in biochem lab but uncovered shoes aren't. I don't know where the logic is, because the idea of covering up exposed skin is to prevent the skin from coming into contact with toxic chemicals. Saving my foot from some corrosive agent isn't going to save my calves. And I think the calves have a higher chance of getting hit. -shrugs- All the same, if it means I don't have to plan my wardrobe around lab sessions...
I agree with some random girl's assessment (after asking why I was in bags) that I need better shoes. HOWEVER, I bought my current pair especially for lab sessions, and there is NO way I'm going to spend more money on a better pair of shoes when I'm only going to wear it once in one or two weeks. Sports/school shoes give me ingrowing toenails (after entering uni I haven't had a single ingrowing toenail because I don't have to wear shoes on a regular basis), and flats cause the sole of my feet to cramp, and the huge stain I now sport on the side of my lab coat (as mentioned a few weeks back) came about when my left foot suddenly cramped up, the pain shot up to the butt cheek and I lost my balance, bringing an entire tray of dye-containing cuvettes crashing onto me as I hit the table. (wow long sentence) My shoes didn't get anything, but my lab coat and blue jeans did.
All the same, some careful reflection of my mindset as the events unfold did demonstrate some interesting points. Like if you poke someone hard, you'd get poked hard, too. I must say that this is the first time I've been made to feel like a child since entering university (when initially told to leave) because so far we've always been treated as adults, so my first reaction was resentment. Its like, if you don't treat me with respect, why should I accord respect to you! But I really should have asked if there was any way I could get round that rule at that moment rather than wait until she asked for my name 3 minutes later, when thought of failing my lab report because of a pair of shoes actually entered my mind. So I crawled back to tell her I was leaving the lab NOW and whether there was anywhere on campus selling shoes, why can't I use paper to cover my feet, are there any other options blahblahblah and that was how the plastic bag came in. (after a bit of whining - I don't know, it seems like I'd stoop pretty low to ensure that my record was still good and my report wouldn't be penalised, huh. Okay I really should have done it at the start but there's no escaping the fact that I didn't because of my own pride and only did so at the end because I was motivated by my academic grade. My CAP sucks now and I need every good grade and good record and good whatever else I can get.)
I think I'm rambling on and obsessing about the event when I really should be BLAST-ing sequences. Sigh.
And speaking of biochem. The IEX failed to achieve its purpose. For one sickening moment I thought our enzyme was dead because I couldn't find it in any protein peak, until I had a sneaky suspicion that the column failed. After assaying void volume, taaaaa-daaaaaaa.
I like to trouble-shoot, but I really hate having to do it.

<< Home