A normal, ordinary day.
So. Today we decided to go in search of the foreign language bookstore I read about in Lonely Planet! (Or rather, I was the one searching, since I'm not familiar with the place. However it must be mentioned that he didn't know of the existence of this place either.)
And so we wandered down a random street stuffed full of cafes, restaurants, eateries...
Graffiti that cracked me up! Its pretty smart. I wonder if the lamp works at night =P
A random pretty picture that caught my eye. The thing is, Montreal (or Quebec as a whole) is essentially a mixture of North America and Europe. Which makes it all very interesting. (Insert -I want to come back for exchange!!!-)
We finally hit Rue St Denis. I wanted a mini French-English dictionary since about a week ago, kinda like my Oxford German-English dictionary but I couldn't find it in the Indigo (bookshop) along St. Catherine's. (That's the Montreal version of our Orchard Road, except that its waaaaaaaay longer than little Orchard - I'd elaborate in a while) Finally settled on this little one; its not a direct match, but it has little snippets of life in France at the back, which would make for entertaining reading. Or so I thought. NowI think I should have gotten the other version. The little dictionary of german proverbs is really cool! Heh. Little gems like "Die Irrtümer des Artztes deckt die Erde" (The doctor's errors are covered by earth) - LOLLL!!! And yup, sien, there are latin books and dictionaries so you could consider going.
He had to leave after a while so I spent some time in the Librairie browsing. Then I wanted to head to St Catherine's but I took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in The (gay) Village. Pretty evident from all the rainbow flags. However, there were too many beggars around and shifty looking people and I got freaked out and decided to bail out at the next Metro station I see. This is the parting picture - even the Metro station for the Village's decked out in rainbow colours. hs was fascinated though, says he's never been there.
Even the Metro looked a bit creepy. Long paths, echoes, and few people. Ugh.
We decided to try ice wine today! After all the hooha in germany about how cheap ice wine there is, how rare and exquisite it is and how dreadfully expensive it is in singapore, I was naturally curious to know how it tasted like. It was with much glee that I lernt that the 2 best ice wine producing countries in the world are germany and.... canada. =) Since local produce are always cheaper than imports, surely there must be some reasonably priced ice wine somewhere... right? Yep. At the giant sized Société des alcools du Québec (SAQ) somewhere downtown. We went at closing time, so I guess the staff was in a hurry to get us out. We asked for ice wine, and the staff recommended this little bottle for $60. Overestimate la. Eventually settled for the cheapest one at $22. Wine drinkers would probably laugh at our little cheap bottle but hey, everyone's gotta start somewhere.
Ice wine!! Forgive me if the picture is a bit blurry - I'm a bit tipsy. I don't drink because I absolutely hate the smell and taste of alcohol (don't tell me alcohol's odourless and tasteless because I can smell and taste it.) but ice wine's really sweet. Definitely my favourite so far.
Off to sleep. Nighty!!
And so we wandered down a random street stuffed full of cafes, restaurants, eateries...
Graffiti that cracked me up! Its pretty smart. I wonder if the lamp works at night =P
A random pretty picture that caught my eye. The thing is, Montreal (or Quebec as a whole) is essentially a mixture of North America and Europe. Which makes it all very interesting. (Insert -I want to come back for exchange!!!-)
We finally hit Rue St Denis. I wanted a mini French-English dictionary since about a week ago, kinda like my Oxford German-English dictionary but I couldn't find it in the Indigo (bookshop) along St. Catherine's. (That's the Montreal version of our Orchard Road, except that its waaaaaaaay longer than little Orchard - I'd elaborate in a while) Finally settled on this little one; its not a direct match, but it has little snippets of life in France at the back, which would make for entertaining reading. Or so I thought. NowI think I should have gotten the other version. The little dictionary of german proverbs is really cool! Heh. Little gems like "Die Irrtümer des Artztes deckt die Erde" (The doctor's errors are covered by earth) - LOLLL!!! And yup, sien, there are latin books and dictionaries so you could consider going.
He had to leave after a while so I spent some time in the Librairie browsing. Then I wanted to head to St Catherine's but I took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in The (gay) Village. Pretty evident from all the rainbow flags. However, there were too many beggars around and shifty looking people and I got freaked out and decided to bail out at the next Metro station I see. This is the parting picture - even the Metro station for the Village's decked out in rainbow colours. hs was fascinated though, says he's never been there.
Even the Metro looked a bit creepy. Long paths, echoes, and few people. Ugh.
We decided to try ice wine today! After all the hooha in germany about how cheap ice wine there is, how rare and exquisite it is and how dreadfully expensive it is in singapore, I was naturally curious to know how it tasted like. It was with much glee that I lernt that the 2 best ice wine producing countries in the world are germany and.... canada. =) Since local produce are always cheaper than imports, surely there must be some reasonably priced ice wine somewhere... right? Yep. At the giant sized Société des alcools du Québec (SAQ) somewhere downtown. We went at closing time, so I guess the staff was in a hurry to get us out. We asked for ice wine, and the staff recommended this little bottle for $60. Overestimate la. Eventually settled for the cheapest one at $22. Wine drinkers would probably laugh at our little cheap bottle but hey, everyone's gotta start somewhere.
Ice wine!! Forgive me if the picture is a bit blurry - I'm a bit tipsy. I don't drink because I absolutely hate the smell and taste of alcohol (don't tell me alcohol's odourless and tasteless because I can smell and taste it.) but ice wine's really sweet. Definitely my favourite so far.Off to sleep. Nighty!!

<< Home