the petri dish.

if you think i need a life... you're probably right.

星期四, 十月 05, 2006

Spotted!


The curly rod-like thing is a new leaf in the midst of unfolding: its called a crozier and this characteristic of ferns is called circinate vernation. I spotted this on one of the trees in nus when I was walking to the bus stop. I don't remember what the name of this fern is, (Probably bird's nest fern?) but I do remember the TA saying that the fronds form a cup-like structure which results and aids in the collection and breakdown of dead organic matter so that the plant has constant access to nutrients. Kinda reminds me of human behaviour... those classic misers hoarding their gold...

Quality isn't very good because my phone camera isn't anything to shout about, and I refuse to go any nearer to the fern because there there were spiders, webs and ants crawling around. This picture was taken by me gingerly pulling aside a frond and blindly sticking my phone in the middle of the fern.

I wanted to comment on what I read in my microbiology textbook the other day but I was too lazy. (Spirit willing but flesh is freakin' weak) And I know I've mentioned gonohorrea, retina detachment and vaguely on gastroesophageal reflux here, and piles on the 71 class blog. At this rate I'm going, this is going to end up as a reflection of weird and quirky biology.